Note: This recipe is Whole30, keto, and paleo approved by simply switching ground turkey in place of sausage. It is delicious both ways!
Having quick and easy casserole recipes ready for a moment’s notice is important as a wife, mom, or holiday guest! I’m about to share with you a healthy breakfast casserole that is my ‘go-to’ dish anytime I need to show up somewhere with something tasty to share.
For many years now, one of the biggest highlights of my week is Thursday morning Women’s Bible Study. There’s not much else that beats hanging out with friends, free childcare, eating yummy food, sipping coffee, and learning about Jesus! Our tradition is to rotate small groups who bring a delicious breakfast spread for the whole large group of ladies. Almost every single time, I have made this ‘Sweet Potato, Sausage & Egg Casserole’. And every time I have people asking me for the recipe!!
The problem is, this recipe is a blend of a few old recipes that I don’t have anymore, so sharing was difficult. I finally decided to write it all down for anyone who wants to give it a try.
The best part about this breakfast casserole, is that not only is it delicious, but it is a health conscious recipe. All ingredients are good for you! The ‘worst’ thing the recipe calls for is breakfast sausage, but I’m a big believer in moderation. However, if you are trying to loose weight, or are on a special meal plan, use the following substitution. For a health conscious and Whole30, keto, and paleo approved recipe, simply substitute the sausage for ground turkey.
- prep: 15-20 minutes // cook time: 35 minutes // total: 50-55 min
- 8-12 servings
- 10 eggs
- 16 oz. maple flavored breakfast sausage (I use HEB brand)
- (substitute ground turkey for Whole 30, keto, paleo)
- 1 large sweet potato
- cooking oil
- (use coconut oil for Whole 30, keto, paleo)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 small tomato
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- (optional) your favorite type of shredded cheese
MEAL PREP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or spread your desired cooking oil in a thin layer on bottom and sides of a glass, 9″x13″ baking dish. (adjust temperature if your dish is smaller)
- Peel sweet potato and slice into thin rounds. Approx. 1/4″ thick. Line in a layer at the bottom of your glass dish. Don’t overlap.
- Spray or melt your desired cooking oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add maple breakfast sausage. Season with 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Cook until browned, stirring frequently, and breaking apart into small pieces.
- Spread ground breakfast sausage in a layer on top of sweet potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over ground breakfast sausage in an even layer.
- Delicately lay spinach on top of eggs evenly.
- Slice a small tomato thinly and add as a layer on top of spinach.
- Optional: Sometimes I add a thin layer of whatever type of shredded cheese I have on hand to one end of my casserole! This makes it a little more tasty for my littles.
- Place on the middle oven rack to cook for 35 minutes.
- Let cool, then eat!
That’s it! Now you have a scrumptious meal to share with friends! This is my first recipe to share, so thank you for your patience. Please let me know what you think, especially if you try it! And feel free to pin it to Pinterest!